Perks of reviewing for legit organizations: actual professional photos (PC: Gabe Palacio)
WHAT: MENDELSSOHN Theme and Variations, Scherzo, and Fugue from Four Pieces for String Quartet, Op. 81; BARBER Dover Beach; CAROLINE SHAW By and By; DVOŘÁK String Quartet No. 14 in A-flat major, Op. 105
WHERE: Spanish Courtyard at Caramoor
WHEN: July 12, 2019 at 8:00pm
I'm not going to say much about this performance -- I reviewed this concert for Opera News and I don't want to give away my opinions before it gets published. I'll link the review here once it gets published -- you can read it if you're a subscriber.
In the meanwhile, here are a few things that I didn't get to mention in my review:
- Davóne Tines's stage outfit was a black suit with no shirt. Let me tell you, he ROCKED it.
- There was some action with candles onstage -- Tines lit a candle in the silence between Dover Beach and By and By, and an ill-timed breeze nearly burned the stage tent down.
- At the pre-concert Q&A session, a(n over-)zealous chamber-music camp parent chaperone asked Dover cellist Camden Shaw how he handles it when he gets lost in a performance. After a short pause, he answered in his booming, croony voice, "I don't know, look pretty?"
- Caramoor is absolutely LOVELY. You know why? Because nature is great. NYC almost made me forget that.
- Caroline Shaw was not there or I would have said hi to her this time. I promise.
Stay tuned for the full review!